Wednesday, May 02, 2007

"He Restoreth My Soul" (part 2)

“The Lord is my Shepherd—I shall not want-He maketh Me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters.”

One of the great revelations of the heart of God given to us by Christ is that of Himself as our Shepherd. He has the same identical sensations of anxiety, concern, and compassion for cast men and women as I had for cast sheep.
It discloses the depth of His understanding of undone people to whom He came eagerly and quickly, ready to help, to save, to restore.

When I read the life story of Jesus Christ and examine carefully His conduct in coping with human need, I see Him again and again as the Good Shepherd picking up "cast" sheep. The tenderness, the love, the patience that He used to restore Peter's soul after the terrible tragedy of his temptations is a classic picture of the Christ coming to restore on of His own.

And so He comes quietly, gently, reassuringly to me not matter when or where or how I may be cast down.

In Psalm 56:13, we are given an accurate commentary on this aspect of the Christian's life in these words," ...thou hast delivered my soul form death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?"

(to be continued)
(Part 1) & (Part 3)

Excerpt from “A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23” by W. Phillip Keller

No comments: